Would you like to visit an incredible tropical island and discover the source of some of the world’s most beautiful gemstones? A trip to Sri Lanka will give you a unique insight into the mining and sourcing of coloured gems, as well as an unforgettable holiday.
Nineteen48 has partnered with Tropical Vacations, a specialist in bespoke holidays to Sri Lanka, to offer an amazing trip to the Island of Gems, including visits to mines and gem cutters, so you can see for yourself how this part of the jewellery industry operates.
In addition, you will be able to experience a wide range of Sri Lankan culture and natural beauty, with visits to major historical sites and wildlife parks, as well as sampling a variety of the awesome food that the country has to offer.
This fantastic tour will be happening in spring 2017, leaving the UK on February 17th and returning on March 2nd (12 nights / 13 days). It is limited to just 15 spaces, so that we can provide a truly personal service to each person throughout the trip.
The gem mine visits will be coordinated jointly by Nineteen48 and Crown Gems (our partner company in Sri Lanka that manages our gem mining operations). There will be opportunities to observe miners and cutters at work and see different types of gem mines.
This is a great way to enjoy a leisurely holiday to a luxury destination, whilst simultaneously being able to enhance your knowledge of how rough gem material is mined and processed to transform it into beautifully faceted gemstones.
Sri Lanka is a truly incredible country to visit and we aim to show you as much as we possibly can in the time available.
- Day 0/1 (17/18th Feb) – Leave UK. Arrive in Sri Lanka. Stay in Negombo.
- Day 2/3/4 – Visit Dambulla Caves / Sigiriya Fortress / Minneriya National Park / Hiriwadunna Village / Elahera gem mines.
- Day 5/6 – Travel to Kandy. Visit Sacred Temple of the Tooth / Royal Botanical Gardens (Peradeniya).
- Day 7/8 – Train trip through the mountains to Nuwara Eliya. See tea plantations / Lake Gregory.
- Day 9 – Travel to Ratnapura (City of Gems). Visit gem mines & gem cutters.
- Day 10 – Visit Millennium Foundation Elephant Sanctuary (Uda Walawe).
- Day 11 – Tour Yala National Park.
- Day 12 – Travel to Mirissa. Take a boat trip for whale watching.
- Day 13 (2nd Mar) – Return to Colombo for departure to UK.
For a more detailed description, you can download the brochure here.
The tour is priced at £1110 per person, which includes accommodation and some meals, airport transfers and other travel, local guides and entrance tickets where required. Flights are additional, but will be arranged by Tropical Vacations.
If you are interested in taking part in this tour or you would like more information then please call (07747-624040) or email us (email@example.com).